Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Day 69 - My High School Students

I can't think of the number 69 and not think of my former high school students. I no longer teach, but when I did and I said, "Turn to page 69" or "The answer is 69" the class would erupt into a fit of giggles. They thought they were the only ones in on the joke, that a teacher couldn't possibly know what 69 might be referring to. I'd play dumb and say, "What? What's so funny?" Which would only make them giggle all the more. I loved teaching that age. Their sense of worldliness - when they weren't so worldly. The tough veneer on the outside, but soft, squishy, and lovable on the inside. And the things they would do that made me laugh. I still keep in touch with many of them - thanks to Facebook. So they still make me giggle and smile. Especially as they realize how much they don't know. Yes, my high school students still bring me joy.

No comments: