Friday, April 9, 2010

Day 122 - Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House

I used to live in Savannah. And when I first moved there I smelled such delicious smells starting at about 10am every morning. I asked my neighbors where the aroma was coming from. "Mrs. Wilkes, of course!" was the reply. Where? I asked. "Just around the corner and look for the line." No sign. Just a line of people waiting for delicious, home-style, southern cooking. She started working there in 1943 and took over, running it until she died in 2002 at age 95. She never retired. Her family runs it now and I had the pleasure of eating there again today. I moved away years ago but I try to visit every time I return because Mrs. Wilkes brings me joy!

1 comment:

Cam said...

I smelled these described deeleeshous smells, and I am determined to eat there ASAP! Isn't Savannah just the best? :)