Friday, December 11, 2009

Day 2 - Water


Such a simple thing to find joy in, I suppose. But I love water. I love to drink it. I love to swim in it. I love sitting by it or riding on top of it. And as I was taking my not so environmentally sound shower this morning (because I KNOW it took longer than 3 minutes) I was so thankful that it was running clear and warm over my body. But only 1% of the earth's water supply is fresh water. So I reluctantly turned the faucet off. I thought of all the people around the world who struggle for clean, pure, safe water. One billion people lack the basic, safe water supply necessary to thrive. In places without adequate water supply and standard safety measures the child mortality rate increases multiplied by 20. Most of our body is made up of water. Water is essential for our survival. It's a resource that I know I take for granted. But today, as I sip my clean, cool glass of water I will find joy in it.

1 comment:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi There and welcome to blogging... I assume you found me through my "Joyful Reflections" title.. I too try to show joy in everything I do--but of course, that is not life as we live it everyday. But I have found that if we look for the joy everyday, that will help us get through the hard times.

I assume you live somewhere near the Smokies. We are in Crossville--but try to get to the Smokies as much as we can (in the off-seasons).

Please come back to my blog anytime. Right now, we are in Brevard, NC doing some hiking. BUT--I'll be back on Monday.

Thanks again for coming to my blog.
Hugs,
Betsy