Thursday, December 10, 2009

Day 1 - Snail Mail

My grandmother was wonderful at sending cards and notes through the mail. But I'm a product of the electronic age - email is more my speed. Oh, who am I kidding? Even as a child I procrastinated sending thank you notes. I loved receiving things in the mail but I was terrible at sending them.

And this time of year? Oh the joy in receiving snail mail holiday cards! With pictures, without pictures, with annoying brag letters or not. I love them all. Even just a signature is fine with me. It means you were thinking of us. I used to be annoyed if a handwritten note wasn't inside. But now that I'm married with children I am fully aware of the distractions that can keep you from being more personable. And now, there are so many people that don't even bother to slap a stamp on something that I'll take what I can get. And today? Three little bundles of joy arrived in my mailbox today! So today, I'm finding joy in snail mail.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love receiving "snail mail"--a welcome surprise among all of the other responsibilities and obligations represented in the mailbox. In this day of texts and emails, I also greatly enjoy sending handwritten notes throughout the year--kind of sending little bits of love and good energy to those I care about:)

Olivia StClaire said...

Meeee, too! And I agree that it is nice to know that someone is thinking of you & took the time to send a crad.

Thanks for stopping by! Nice to find another cheery blog!!

beth said...

thanks for the reminder of just being thought of....I usually get angry when there aren't any photos in the cards I receive, but you just made me thing in a whole new way....

Unknown said...

Yep, email for me too. I tried a few times over the years to write a letter, but as I kept in contact via email, there was nothing left to say! So nowadays I try to send a little token every once in a while. Total surprises rather than birthday or similar presents.

I know how wonderful it is to receive such things. Yes, it's a small joy in someone's day. I guess with email etc, these thoughtful gestures are even more appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, what a lovely thing to give thanks for. I, too, love receiving things in the mail, although I now accept email in those same rankings I once only allowed USPS mail to grace.
Like you, I also used to scoff at people who only signed their name and didn't write a note, but as I get older, I grow more compassionate. I recognize that life sometimes takes over, and as a result, it's the thought that counts.
I'm not sure how many holiday cards I'll receive this year, mainly because I stopped sending my own for environmental reasons. Maybe there will come a time when I'll be thankful for someone just thinking of me - sending their good energy out into the world, regardless of how it reaches me.
Ah such things to ponder on a cold, wintry morning!
Much love & joy to you! And here's wishing you lots more "good" mail!

Anonymous said...

Me too. I love getting cards in the mail. Thanks for reminding me that others do too. I should do it more.

Anonymous said...

Did my mother pay you to write this post? :) We are about to leave for a two week holiday trip; I have yet to send out my cards so I was threatening to send an e-mail card this year. She shuddered at the thought. I agree with both of you, though, that there's something lovely and permanent about holding a card in your hands. So I will find a way to get those cards in the mail before we go.

Relyn Lawson said...

I wanted to come back to the beginning and tell you how much I love this idea of yours.